If you are looking for a new home on Topsail Island, there are plenty of options for you to choose from. You can easily find a cozy condominium for starting a family, or look for something a little bit more upscale on the beach. Let’s take a look at some of the different types of homes and the benefits of each.
Townhomes and condominiums
Townhomes and condominiums are great for small families, couples, and those that live alone. Generally speaking, if you live in a condominium, you own an individual unit within a larger complex. When you own a townhome, you share a wall with your neighbors and own the structure as well. Townhomes and condominiums have many different benefits:
- Low purchasing cost: With Lewis Realty Associates, Inc., you will find townhomes and condominiums in the $250,000 to $500,000 price range.
- Minimal maintenance: If you live in a condo, you pay an HOA fee that covers maintenance for things that may break from time to time.
- townhomes have more space: With a townhome, you will have reasonably sized bedrooms, full-sized bathrooms, kitchen, and perhaps a basement. You also have access to a front yard, patio, garage, and maybe even a deck. With a condo, you will likely have some shared exterior space with your neighbors. Some condos offer a shared garage, but this is most often not the case.
- Privacy: When you live in a condominium, you often have to share a hallway or stairs with your neighbors. With a townhome, you don’t have to deal with neighbors above or below you.
Some condos and townhomes on Topsail Island do have an ocean view or beach access. Some of your neighboring units might function as vacation rentals throughout the year.
Homes on the oceanfront
When you purchase a home with proximity to the beach, you can get a home with exclusive access to the beach or something with a view of the ocean. These homes typically have a price tag starting at $1.9 million. A beachfront home has several different benefits:
- You own access to the beach and water whenever you want it.
- The home will have a strong resale value in the future and hold its value well when the real estate market is slow.
- Living on or near the beach will promote a more active lifestyle. You will want to visit the beach or be on the water whenever you can.
Additionally, if you are purchasing a Topsail Island home for recreational use, you have the potential to monetize it as a rental unit throughout the year when you are not using it.
Homes on the Intercoastal Waterway
The Intercoastal Waterway is on the backside of Topsail Island. Homes built on this side of the island tend to compete with oceanfront properties in terms of price. You could very well find a home for between $1 million and $1.5 million, whereas oceanfront properties might be priced higher. Some of the benefits of choosing a home on the ICW include:
- A little bit more privacy, since tourists tend to flock to the ocean side of Topsail Island.
- You still get a great view or access to the water, without the price.
- You can enjoy fishing, paddleboarding, and jet skiing on slightly calmer waters.
- You also can do things like crabbing and clamming, since the tides on the ICW go in and out with the ocean.
Second row homes on Topsail Island
A second row home is simply one row of houses back from the beach. Many of these second row homes offer a great view of the beach or the water. You will likely have easy access to the beach. Here are some of the benefits of owning a home that is on the second row:
- The high demand for access to the beach will make the home viable as a rental property.
- These homes tend to sell slightly less than an oceanfront property.
- Second row homes are also a huge part of the beach scene.
A second row home gives you the benefits of beach access and the view without the price tag. The only difference is that you don’t own the beach or the experience that comes along with owning a beachfront home.
Lots for Sale on Topsail Island
Since development started on Topsail Island shortly after World War II, the number of prime lots for sale are in limited supply. Most of the lots available through Lewis Realty Associates, Inc. are either on the interior of the island or canal front. You will see lots starting in the low $250,000 price range going all the way up to $1,500,000 (for a combined .89 acre lot in Surf City). Purchasing a lot gives you the option of:
- Being more in control of the construction process of a home, if you choose to build.
- Getting a more encompassing home loan when you go to build your home.
- You have the option of choosing the builder you want to work with, long before the construction process starts.
- Saving more money for the construction process if you don’t plan on building right away.
- Selling the land at a later date as home values in the area go up.
Why Lewis Realty Associates, Inc. is your trusted Topsail Island Realtor
Lewis Realty Associates, Inc. is the trusted local realtor for Topsail Island. As a family-owned business that helped start development on the island over sixty years ago, we can help you find the right home or land and navigate the complexities of owning coastal property. Whether you are buying or selling, our real estate team has over 150+ years of combined experience to help you with your purchase.